Thursday, December 17, 2009

Not dead...

Should have updated this a few months ago but, well, didn't. I'll try to get some better pics this weekend. Please ignore the bad images, bad lighting and that the car is dirty.





Paint was completed around the end of August. Wasn't easy but it was worth the time. I think I've gone into it before but, to recap:

  • All dings/scratches worked out
  • Removed everything we could unbolt except the engine, paint goes under all trim work
  • Everything above the main body line was heavily primed and then block sanded (by my own two little hands)
  • All chrome pieces were removed and painted (rattle-can rubberized)
  • Antenna shaved
  • Replaced the drivers and passenger side windows
  • Replaced the seal around the windshield (so we could paint under it)







Total mods for the car round out at:
  • Lowered (VMAXX coilovers)
  • Harddog rollbar
  • Custom paint listed above
  • Tint
  • New head unit, custom cut dash kit to allow the head unit to fit flush
  • New taillights (eBay specials tinted with Nightshades)
  • All lights blacked out
  • Custom painted the stock rims, left off the center caps and used enclosed lugnuts to give it a more old school feel
  • New tires (not really a mod but it ate into the budget)
  • Rolled all four fenders and did a mild pull on rear fenders
  • Removed inner-fender liners up front, was rubbing badly
  • eBay strut bar that's been under the hood for a couple of years


Cars not done yet but it has to be the most fun you can have for less then $2000. :)




I'm not done but I am changing the projects direction. The car is a blast to drive with just the 1.6L in it. But it needs a new engine (and transmission and rear end and, well, you get the idea) so I still plan to do the 1.8L upgrade but, for now, I'm dropping the plans to install a turbo system (unless I find a wrecked MazdaSpeed for cheap).

There are a few other mods I'd like to do and dropping the FI plans will free up a large piece of my budget to do other things.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Who would have thought of plastidipping the chrome or nightshading altezzas? :-D

    Best project car you've done to date my friend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete